The game is played with nine object balls numbered one through nine and a cue ball (the white ball). The aim is to pocket the 9-ball with a legal shot. On each shot the first ball the cue ball contacts must be the lowest-numbered ball on the table, but the balls need not be pocketed in order.
The object balls are racked in a diamond shape, with the one ball at the top of the diamond and on the foot spot, the 9-ball in the center of the diamond, and the other balls in random order.
If a player fouls three consecutive times on three successive shots without making an intervening legal shot he loses the game.
The commands are executed by selecting the command and moving the mouse while the left button pressed.
- Aim Aim the cue stick.
- Fine Aim Fine aim the cue stick.
- Shoot Press the left mouse button and adjust the cue stick's distance from the cue ball. Move the mouse up to strike. The faster you move the mouse up the harder you hit the cue ball.
- Move Moves the cue ball when it is in hand
- View Moves the camera around and above the cue ball. Available in 3D mode only
- Zoom Moves the camera closer or further away from the table. Available in 3D mode only
- Spin Gives spin (english) to the cue ball